Tomorrow is my dad’s 85th birthday and as we are getting ready, I realized that I’ve never shared my family’s favorite chocolate cake recipe. This is a from scratch recipe, but it’s so easy, you’ll never use a mix again. It’s yummy with butter cream frosting and cream cheese frosting (my husband’s fav) but it’s heavenly with German chocolate frosting.
I have no idea where my mom originally came across this recipe, or I would happily give credit. If you try this cake for a celebration, I’d love to hear about it — and see your photos!
Real Crazy Cake
- 8" round cake pan(s)
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large whisk
- 1½ cup flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- Pam for baking OR flour and Crisco
- Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl.
- Make 3 depressions in mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the second and canola oil in the third.
- Pour water over all, then mix well until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.