A gift of hot cocoa mix is always welcome, whether it’s a holiday token for the neighbors or a party favor. The girls and I made a big batch of hot chocolate mix as favors for our Pink Pig Party. It was an easy and quick project, from making the mix to dressing up your mason jar.
Here’s how I modified a cocoa mix recipe from Miss Daisy Cooks Light. I found the original too sweet and not rich enough, but the addition of vanilla flavored coffee creamer took care of that.
Hot Cocoa Mix
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 quart (4 1/2 cups) instant dry non-fat milk
- 1 cup dry vanilla coffee creamer
- Mix dry ingredients and pour into 6 oz. mason jars. Each 6 oz. mason jar holds about 3/4 cup of mix, plus mini marshmallows.
- Store any extra in an airtight container.
- To make, stir 2 tbsp of mix with 6 oz. boiling water. (Use 3 tbsp of mix for a larger mug.)
- Mini marshmallows
- 6 oz. mason jars
- “Thoink You” and instructions tags
- 2.25″ circle punch
- 25″ grosgrain ribbon, 3/4″ width
- Rubber band
- Single hole punch
- Glue dot or double-sided tape
1 – Add about 3/4 cup of mix to each mason jar. Top with mini marshmallows.
2 – Punch out the Thoink You and instructions tag with your 2.25″ circle punch.
3 – Punch a hole in the top of the instructions tag.
4 – Add a glue dot or double-sided tape to the top of the mason jar lid. Add the Thoink You tag and replace the rim.
5 – Slide the rubber band a into the instructions tag hole. Then, pull the rubber band back through itself. Tighten gently.
6 – Stretch the rubber band over the jar lid and ease it into the glass lip.
7 – Cut a 25″ length of grosgrain ribbon.
8 – Add a glue dot to the back of the rim. Stick the center of the ribbon to the glue dot. Wrap the ribbon around to the front of the rim, and tie a bow over the instructions tag. Trim the edges of the ribbon.
And that’s your finished Pink Pig Party favor!